This one just came from Amy – it was a hit with her family!
- 1 pound broccoli florets (from 1 1/2 pounds broccoli stalks), thinly sliced and then roughly chopped (see photos)
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds or slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese (optional)
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries or dried tart cherries, chopped
- Honey mustard dressing
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 medium clove garlic, pressed or minced
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Toast the sunflower seeds:
- Pour the sunflower seeds into a medium skillet over medium heat.
- Cook, stirring frequently (careful, they’ll burn!), until the seeds are turning golden on the sides, about 5 minutes.
- Pour the toasted seeds into a large serving bowl.
- Add the chopped broccoli, onion, cheese and cranberries to the serving bowl. Set aside.
- In a 1-cup liquid measuring cup or small bowl, combine all of the dressing ingredients (olive oil, vinegar, mustard, honey, garlic and salt). Whisk until the mixture is well blended.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and stir until all of the broccoli is lightly coated in dressing.
- Let the salad marinate for at least 20 minutes, or even overnight in the refrigerator.
- Divide the salad into individual bowls and serve. Leftovers will keep well for 3 to 4 days in the fridge, covered.