For this recipe, you can use as much cauliflower as you like – just adapt the amount of other ingredients. Sage is a great flavor for this time of year.
- Olive oil
- Sage leaves, loosely packed
- Sea salt, more for tossing
- 1 – 3 medium-large heads cauliflower(about 3 pounds)
- 3 – 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 lemon, zest finely grated
- Heat oil in a small pan until rippling.
- Add sage and cook, stirring, just until crisped, about 2 minutes.
- Lift out sage and drain on paper towels; transfer oil to a large bowl.
- Let sage cool and crumble with fingers into a small bowl.
- Stir in coarse salt and set aside.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place roasting pan with an inch of water in oven bottom.
- Add cauliflower to bowl with oil, add about 1 teaspoon table salt, and toss gently until coated.
- Spread out on two large baking sheets. Bake until browned, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Melt butter in a small pan over medium heat.
- When foam subsides, watch closely and stir often.
- When white solids are brown and butter smells toasty, turn off heat, squeeze in juice of lemon and stir well.
- Transfer cauliflower to a bowl, pour butter over, and add lemon zest.
- Add half the sage salt and toss. Taste and season with remaining salt as needed.