For the Vinaigrette
- 1 head garlic, 1/2 inch cut off top to reveal cloves
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup (2 ounces) walnuts, toasted and chopped
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
For the Salad
- 1 pound shucked fresh fava beans
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels (from 2 ears of corn)
- 1 medium cucumber, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced (1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
Making the vinaigrette:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Drizzle garlic with 1 teaspoon oil.
- Wrap in parchment, then in foil.
- Bake until soft, about 30 minutes.
- Squeeze garlic from skins.
- Mash until smooth.
- Whisk together the remaining ingredients with 1 tablespoon of the roasted garlic and remaining 2 teaspoons oil.
Making the salad:
- Prepare an ice-water bath.
- Cook beans in a large pot of boiling water for 2 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer beans to ice-water bath.
- Let cool completely, and remove with the slotted spoon.
- Cook corn in same pot for 1 minute, and drain in a colander.
- Peel thin shells off beans.
- Toss cucumber, onion, parsley, feta, beans, and corn with the vinaigrette.